I am a book lover. No question about it. I love novels, books of short stories, autobiographies, travel guides, cookbooks, picture books… the list goes on. So here is a list (I’m really big on listing things) of nine books that I love and some that I want to love in the future. (Disclaimer: I did not put Harry Potter on this list, because it’s obvious that Harry Potter is the best book of all time and you don’t need me to tell you that.)
1. Ah, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, you never cease to make me fall in love with you. This book is a compilation of many different people’s stories and art from hand picked by JGL himself. Oh Joseph, you’ve outdone yourself this time. The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories.
2. I love books about princesses and knights in shining armor and geese. But then again, who doesn’t. I read this book this past year. Even thought it’s probably a book for girls in middle school, I thoroughly enjoyed it as a twenty year old. It made me laugh and smile and even tear up a little bit. The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale.
3. I have a weakness for travel books. If ever I see one at a thrift store or garage sale I always buy it. Though I would have to say Rick Steve’s books are my favorite, this one from Lonely Planet makes me swoon. It’s Europe, every bit of it, through photos. I’m fighting the urge to buy it right now. The Europe Book.
4. I am an intensely huge C.S. Lewis fan. Like HUGE. My biggest regret in life is never having been to C.S. Lewis’ home. (I mean I was in England for two and a half months. Whyyyy did I never go???) Most everyone is familiar with The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. However, there is a lesser known but equally awesome book that I love. If you like mythology, princesses, and wonderful life lessons then Til We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis is for you.
5. So some of you may remember the book I had on my Christmas list this year. Well my wonderful brother got it for me and let me tell you, it is just as awesomely funny as I hoped it would be. Mindy Kaling is hilarious and honest and successful and cool. Go get her book. It is awesome. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?
6. I am a lover of short stories. Mainly because they are short and take no time at all to read or write, which is great for my tiny attention span. This particular short story comes from a post called Wanderlust that I wrote back in fall of 2010 when I was in a World Lit class. This piece that I read by Matsuo Basho is more of a storm (Story/Poem, yes I made up that term just now). It is beautiful and it totally gets me. The Narrow Road of the Interior.
7. This list would certainly not be complete without an Anne book. Me and the sister were recently discussing what our favorite Anne book was and I decided it would have to be the third one. That one makes me feel so nostalgic and dreamy. I always want to laugh and cry and look through old photos as soon as I’m finished with it. It’s just good. Anne of the Island by Lucy Maude Montgomery.
8. THE HUNGER GAMES. THE HUNGER GAMES. THE HUNGER GAMES.
9. I love Jane Austen with all my heart. And obviously, just like every other woman in America, I love Pride and Prejudice. I’ve read the book and seen three different versions of the movie. (I’m sorry, but I love the Kiera Knightley one the best.) I’ve made it a mission to read all of Jane Austen’s books. When I had first arrived in England last April I had no books with me, because they are too heavy to carry through countless airports. So, the first chance I got, I ducked into a Nottinghill book shop and bought Northanger Abbey. I still haven’t read it. I bring that book with me everywhere, but never read it. Don’t ask me why, because I don’t know. However, my New Years resolution is to read that book, because I know I will love it and chances are, you will too.
So I hope this inspires you to go get these books (unless you are a certain friend of mine *ahem* Sarah *ahem* who doesn’t like to read.) Now go forth and READ.
2 thoughts on “Books”
Very nice! But have you read “The Colonel’s Lady”? I hear it’s one of the best books of 2011! If you have a kindle, I can loan it to you!
I will have to check that out! Thanks!